Category Archives: News

Any news-worthy post.

Joe rewires a locally-made table lamp and restores a vintage floor lamp from the 1930's or maybe the 1920's (mogul base). Tony and Emily clean up two flashlights and a film camera. Tony bridges solder joints to restore the main speakers on a Casio Privia keyboard. Martine and David work the fan blades on a hair dryer. Vincent extracts an embedded headphone jack tip inside a Macbook Pro. The purse handmade in Mexico needed a new zipper. The HP laser printer needed its USB port replaced. Emily restores the bad motor on the Roomba-type device. D37 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago  ·  

View on Facebook

One of our members want to convert and old 1914 ARCO boiler into a smarter machine with a Raspberry π but the boiler started leaking. Can't trace the leak source - could be the “pancake” layer underneath the boiler, or the top of the “water tank”. The boiler was originally a coal-fed 2-psi heating system and has been converted to use oil. The asbestos has been replaced with a thermal blanket. Any thoughts on diagnosis and repair? Sample pic by kanemojo on flickr ... See MoreSee Less

3 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

Thx 2 iFixit.com for the repair <3 We are still marveling at what we did at Tony's studio #waybackwhenOver the past two weeks, you've shown us that repair is for everyone. These are your #ImAGenius stories: bit.ly/2NBx7Ze ... See MoreSee Less

3 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

Love what you guys do! Thought I'd share a little fixing inspiration.

I borrowed a lint shaver from my parents that is probably older than myself. Checked the battery compartment to find some old, forgotten-about, exploded batteries. 😞 Cleaned that up, inserted new batteries and voila!
Or so I thought, I went to use it and it was less than great. I took it completely apart, cleaned all crevices and put it back together. Now, this device worked like new and the pillows I was de-pilling look new as well.
So happy that neither ended up in the landfill. 😊
... See MoreSee Less

3 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

3 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

Thanks to the BBC for filming us! Sebastian replaces the screen on his Moto G5 using @ifixit guidance. Joe and Stephen power up an espresso machine. Mike gets a spice grinder working again. Stephen deep cleans a mini LCD projector which keeps shutting down. Vincent demonstrates basic maintenance for a Samsung Galaxy S3 (MetroPCS), Nate fix ups a hair trimmer. Charlie and Joe work on a Tesla coil. D45 ... See MoreSee Less

3 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

Great video by BRIC covering our Fixing Session in Brooklyn. We fixed stuff and cut hair. The Hebrew saying, alone, is worth a look. #imageniusThe Fixers' Collective is a group of people who believe in the power of fixing things and elongating the life of objects before disposal. The Program Directo... ... See MoreSee Less

3 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

Help_Wonder if I can fix my 'computer cord' where they get worn at stress points (rubber/plastic breaks open & exposes metal internal of cord)? Costs $80 bucks for new replacement! Have tried some plastic tape but not working very well. I live in East Harlem... ... See MoreSee Less

4 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

FIX-IT rather than toss it!!
A 20th century fix for a 21st century problem:
Aluminum foil to the rescue:
I couldn’t get new Duracell batteries to work in my old iMac’s wireless mouse. Fortunately I was able to use my iPad to search for a reason. From an old discussions.apple.com thread I found out the problem was the button on positive side of the new Duracell battery was too big to fit into the too little hole in the mouse. Oh, my. I followed the suggestion on the thread and fixed the problem with sticking in some wadded up tin foil.
From the thread:
The problem here is that the recessed positive contacts (at the on/off switch end) are too deeply recessed to make contact with the industry allowed variation in AA batteries. Those contacts are too deeply recessed because the plastic is too thick (in the hole that forms the recess) and the metal contacts are not tightly up against the backside of that plastic wall, in fact it looks like they are installed with a gap and/or can deform/bend away further opening that gap even larger. As mentioned above many industry AA battery standards define the positive button contact height as being 1.0mm or larger ... however that plastic wall is about 1mm thick, add the gap for the metal contacts and you have no electrical contact no matter how much contact spring force there is at the negative end. Unfortunately, there is no simple good fix for the average person to perform, the recessed contacts can't be accessed to bend them to remove that gap and the pastic is too thick anyway .. leaving us with a "duct tape" fix, like wadding some tin foil into that positive terminal recess and swearing when it falls out during battery changes.
... See MoreSee Less

4 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook

Thanks to the Wall Street Journal for covering us! Emily's headphone driver got wonky. Tony replaces the battery on his Samsung tablet. Laptop external DVD drive would not latch shut. Humidifier's fan's ball bearing made too much noise. HP Officejet Pro 8000 would fail the self-test. D0 ... See MoreSee Less

4 weeks ago  ·  

View on Facebook